TSLoadBal Information Page
Ctrl-Alt-Del ® IT Consultancy is proud to release an updated Terminal Server Load Balancing Client for Microsoft Terminal Services, absolutely FREE.
TSLoadBal Release 2.5 is a Terminal Server Client extension that allows load balancing of Terminal Servers in a single Domain. The process balances sessions across a farm of terminal servers within a domain, applying a user load criteria to distribute the sessions evenly. This program also reconnects a client to a disconnected session based on computer name only. Version 2.5 now includes an AUTO-CONNECT Feature.
TSLOADBAL.EXE [/auto] [<ini filename>] [/?]
/auto -- specifies to auto connect on launch. Uses predefined registry settings to connect to server/s.
<ini filename> -- specifies location of ini file to use. Using this option will autoconnect the client upon successful loading of the ini file. </auto> is not required in this option.
/? -- generates this usage message.
NB. If you use just the <ini filename> option, TSLOADBAL will automatically connect to the server/s listed in the ini file.
The location of the ini file can be a local source, network share or environment path. You must include the full path to the ini file. If this parameter does not contain a full path to the file, the system searches for the file in the Windows directory.
TSLOADBAL.EXE /auto - Launch the client automatically using the current settings of the client.
TSLOADBAL.EXE c:\windows\TSLOADBAL.ini -- Launch the client automatically using the Local ini file.
TSLOADBAL.EXE \\servername\share\TSLOADBAL.ini -- Launch the client automatically using the remote ini file.
TSLOADBAL.EXE %temp%\TSLOADBAL.ini -- Launch the client automatically using the environment ini file.
The ini file can be created using the options section of TSLOADBAL.
Structure of the ini file:
;TSLOADBAL ini file
ServerTotal=2 ;number of servers in farm list below
0=CADCTX01 ;name of first server in farm - first entry must be 0=<servername1>
1=CADctx02 ;name of second server in farm - second entry must be 1=<servername2>
;to enter more servers, just increment the list i.e. 2=<servername3>
;and increment the number in ServerTotal
Domain=CTRL-ALT-DEL ;domain name with the TS servers
Display_Width=800 ;display size - width - only used if Display_Option is set to 6 (Custom)
Display_Height=600 ;display size - height - only used if Display_Option is set to 6 (Custom)
Display_Option=0 ;display size - 0 = fullscreen
; 1 = 640 x 480
; 2 = 800 x 600
; 3 = 1024 x 768
; 4 = 1152 x 864
; 5 = 1280 x 1024
; 6 = custom size use Display_Width and Display_Height to set size
;end of ini file
Release 1.0 included the following features:
- Basic Load balancing among Terminal Services in a single domain.
- Administrative server selection to create Server farm.
- User load balancing Criteria to distribute sessions evenly.
- Reconnect a Disconnected session in the TS Server farm (reconnects based on Computer name only).
Release 2.0 includes the following features:
- The ability to change domains and create a server farm in alternative domain structures. This option is for enterprises with Cross Domain Authentication. TSLoadBal will still only load balance across a single domain of Terminal Servers.
- The ability to manually add servers based on server name.
- Client control options to change screen size - previously only full screen was available.
- The ability to save and load settings to an INI file stored in a user’s personal documents folder (e.g. c:\documents and settings\bob\my documents). This INI file can then be used to create session settings for other users. Settings are also stored and read from the registry under HKCU\Software\Ctrl-Alt-Del\TSloadBal.
Release 2.5 includes the following features:
- The feature everyone wanted - An AUTO-Connect feature using default client settings or using a predefined ini file. See the syntax at the beginning of this document.
This addon requires the Microsoft Terminal Server Client to be installed on the operating machine. The Microsoft Terminal Server Client (MSTSC.EXE ) must be located in %systemroot%\system32 of the client machine. The initial DOMAIN that the client connects to is taken from the PC domain membership. This Domain can be changed by the user. If there is no Terminal Servers in that domain, then the client will not list any servers.
This addon is currently only designed for clients running Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP (All Versions) and Windows Vista.
The TSLoadBal - Server Edition has been sold to a third party software vendor who we cannot contractually name. A release date for this product is unknown.. The current client version calculates load balancing from the client end.
How TSLoadBal - Client Edition works:
The TsLoadBal Client works on a simple principle.
- The client is launched.
- The client Enumerates the list of Terminal Servers in the Current Domain.
- The client checks the Terminal Server farm list as compiled by the user or administrator. All settings are stored in HKCU\Software\Ctrl-Alt-Del\TSloadBal registry key.
- The client checks to see if the server farm has a disconnected session that matches the computer name of the current machine running the program. If a session exists, the Microsoft Terminal Server Client native to the OS is launched with the server information predefined.
- The client checks to see which server has the least load based on user sessions.
- The client launches the Microsoft Terminal Server Client native to the OS with the server information predefined
If the TsLoadBal Client does not function as described in your environment, please follow this link - CAD Utils Troubleshooting Guide.
If you would like to offer feedback, ideas or comments on the TSLoadBal Suite, please use our Contacts page and fillout the form provided.
Please remember the TSLoadBal Suite is freeware. The freeware version is offered AS IS. Ctrl-Alt-Del ® IT Consultancy has made every effort possible to ensure that this product is free of any bugs or errors, however in no way is this product to be considered error or bug free. You assume all responsibility for any damages or lost data that may result from any errors or bugs in this product.
IN NO EVENT WILL Ctrl-Alt-Del ® IT Consultancy BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY GENERAL,SPECIAL, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL OR OTHER DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THIS PRODUCT.